While you were sleeping investors bought these 9 Napier and Hastings CBD commercial investment properties at yields ranging from 6.2% to 13.7%…
With a focus on Hawkes Bay, we report on 12 commercial investment properties in Napier CBD and Hastings CBD sold recently by Colliers International.
39 Carlyle Street, Napier
- Features: 710m2 retail premises with 10 car parks and seismic rating of 67% NBS on 1,528m2 site. Occupied by Aarons Emporium but sold with vacant possession.
- Rent: $113,600 net p.a. (estimated market rental; $160/m2)
- Outcome: Sold for $1.575 million to owner/occupier Super Loans
- Yield: 7.2% based on rental estimate
56-60 Munroe Street, Napier
- Features: 910m2 retail premises in 3 titles on 1,139m2 site. Vendor warranty to strengthen all buildings to 67% NBS and fix faulty roof. Five tenants with WALT of 2.6 years. The vendor, Copas Plumbing & Electrical, has a leaseback at $25,000 p.a. for one of the tenancies.
- Rent: $126,000 net p.a. ($138/m2)
- Outcome: Sold for $1.665 million after being on the market for 9 months.
- Yield: 7.7%
61 Tennyson Street, Napier
- Features: 767m2 character building with seismic rating of 70% NBS on 856m2 site in the financial/legal quadrant of Napier’s CBD. Leased for 10 years from September 2017 to a legal firm. Vendor warranty to remediate roof as a condition of settlement.
- Rent: $163,000 net p.a. ($212/m2)
- Outcome: Sold for $2.65 million
- Yield: 6.2%
24A Hastings Street, Napier
- Features: 346m2 ground floor premises in a Historic 2 status building in the art deco quarter. Located in a prime position on Hastings Street, currently leased on a short term basis to award winning Indian restaurant, Indigo.
- Rent: $50,000 p.a. (estimated market rent based on current condition; $145/m2)
- Outcome: Sold for $800,000
- Yield: 6.3% based on rental estimate
253 Gloucester Street, Taradale, Napier
- Features: 282m2 unit titled retail shop with seismic rating of 79% NBS. Leased for 5 years from September 2018 with 2 x 4-year RoR.
- Rent: $54,000 net p.a. ($191/m2)
- Outcome: Sold for $850,000
- Yield: 6.4%
225-233 Gloucester Street, Taradale, Napier
- Features: 440m2 floor area comprising 4 retail tenancies on a 669m2 site. Off-market sale.
- Rent: $59,100 net p.a. ($134/m2)
- Outcome: Sold for $650,000
- Yield: 9.1%
200 Warren Street North, Hastings
- Features: 360m2 building on a 356m2 site previously occupied by a private training organisation. Sold with vacant possession.
- Rent: $52,000 net p.a. (estimated market rental; $144/m2)
- Outcome: Sold for $380,000
- Yield: 13.7% based on rental estimate
- Comment: Amazing yield but good luck finding a tenant without having to discount the guts out of the rent due to the high competition from many office vacancies in Hastings CBD. At a more competitive $100/m2 though, it’s still 9.5% yield. However, we do not have any information on the earthquake rating.
200 Heretaunga Street West, Hastings
- Features: 844m2 retail premises with 5 tenancies on 1,161m2 site. Glassons Holdings (Hallensteins) paying $85,000 p.a. for 258m2 ($329/m2) on 5-year lease from May 2018 with 2 x 5-year RoR. Just Jeans paying $70,000 p.a. for 214m2 ($327/m2) on 4-year lease from October 2018 with no RoR. Thai Orchard Restaurant paying $26,600 p.a. for 132m2 ($202/m2) on 6-year lease from July 2016 with 1 x 6-year RoR. Kapo Maori paying $16,600 p.a. for 87m2 ($190/m2) on 5-year lease from May 2016 with 2 x 5-year RoR.
- Rent: $225,200 net p.a. ($267/m2 average)
- Outcome: Sold for $2.8 million to an out of town investor
- Yield: 8%
700b Warren Street North, Hastings
- Features: 110m2 building (basically a tin shed) previously occupied by Freedom Curtains. Sold with vacant possession.
- Rent: $15,000 net p.a. (estimated market rental; $136/m2)
- Outcome: Sold for $215,000
- Yield: 7% based on rental estimate
This content is provided for general information only and should not be relied upon or used as a basis for making any investment or financial decision. To the extent that any information or recommendations in this content constitute financial advice, they do not take into account any person’s particular financial situation or goals. As individual circumstances differ, we strongly recommend you seek independent legal and/or financial advice prior to acting in relation to any of the matters discussed herein. Neither Newland Burling & Co Ltd nor Provincia Property Fund Management Ltd nor any person involved in this content accepts any liability for any loss or damage whatsoever may directly or indirectly result from any advice, opinion, information, representation or omission, whether negligent or otherwise, contained in this content.